This class pack is by far the most cost effective, inquiry-based, hands-on, Maker Learning kit that Kidder has to offer! What student doesn't want to build and launch a projectile across the room or gymnasium? In this kit there is enough materials for 25 students to design and build their own functional catapult. The pictures attached are only ideas of what your catapult could look like but in the end it is up to the creativity of the builder. Encourage the students to draw their design prior to build. Then spend a class or two in the building phase. Once complete then create a competition to see who can launch their projectile (plastic practice golf balls included in kit!) the furthest.
After this project, students should be able to:
- Describe how force affects the motion of a projectile.
- Explain and compare the meanings of accuracy and precision.
- Explain the optimum angle for launching a projectile the farthest distance (45 degrees).
Materials list for kit:
- 1000 x popsicle sticks
- 100 x 1/8" x 4" wooden dowels
- 50 x 8" plastic straws
- 25 x 7 7/8" Jumbo Craft Sticks
- 1/4 lbs of #16 Rubber Bands
- 36 x Glue Cups
- 9 x Golf Practice balls
- 5 x Low Temp Glue Guns
- 500 x 4"x 5/16" Glue Sticks